Simple Flood Insurance Facts for Crawl Spaces and Basements:
- If you are located in a flood plain, you are required to have flood insurance.
- If you are in a flood plain, and have a basement or crawl space, you want to protect your basement or crawl space with flood vents.
- Flood Flaps flood vents offer a simple, affordable and energy efficient solution to protect your home from the potential destruction of natural disasters resulting in flooding.
No other ICC or FEMA accepted flood vent can prevent air, moisture or insects from entering your basement or crawl space through flood openings in homes and commercial buildings.
Flood insurance policies cover physical damage to your property and possessions when flooding occurs. Flood insurance is protection for basements, crawl spaces, and areas below the lowest elevated floor. Flood insurance coverage is limited in basements and crawl spaces, regardless of zone or date of construction.
Installing Flood Flaps engineered flood vents into your new or existing foundation could reduce your flood insurance premiums. Our FEMA accepted flood vents cover more enclosed area than any competitor’s flood vent.
Click here to see how our FEMA accepted flood vents protect your basement or crawl space from flooding.
Flood insurance is also limited in areas below the lowest elevated floor, depending on the flood zone and date of construction. These areas include:
- Crawl spaces under an elevated building
- Enclosed areas beneath buildings elevated on full-story foundation walls that are sometimes referred to as “walkout basements”
- Enclosed areas under other types of elevated buildings