Brief Summary of the Flood Flaps Invention:
The present invention is a vent with Flood Flaps for sealing a crawlspace under a building. The Flood Flaps vent comprises: (a) a vent box portion including open opposite front and rear ends on either end of a vent passageway in the vent box portion, the vent box portion comprising a top box portion, an opposite bottom box portion, and two side wall portions, the top box portion comprising at least one flap slot adjacent a rear end portion of the vent box portion; (b) at least one flexible Flood Flap extending across the open rear end portion of the vent box portion, an upper edge of the flexible Flood Flap being seated in the correspondingly sized flap slot in the top box portion, other side flap edges of the Flood Flap being unattached; and (c) a grate portion over the open front end portion of the vent box portion. The Flood Flap substantially occludes the rear end portion of the vent box portion when the Flood Flap is in an at rest, home position.
Advantages of the Flood Flaps vent of the present invention include the following:
- Allows building crawlspaces of buildings in flood plains to be air sealed yet comply with state and federal codes for crawlspace flood venting;
- Allows the homeowner to control humidity while minimizing the threat of loss of integrity of the building walls in the event of a flood;
- The grate portion on the front of the Flood Flaps vent presents an aesthetically pleasing appearance to passers by, helps deter vandalism, and keeps out animals and other vermin;
- Double flaps in each Flood Flaps vent help maintain the house’s thermal insulation throughout the sealed crawlspace;
- The passageway interior of the Flood Flaps vent is sized to help prevent flood water from flowing between the layers of the building walls (e.g. block and brick) and causing water damage; and
- The Flood Flaps vent is economical, especially when compared to the costs for flood damage that may occur if it is not employed.
Contact Flood Flaps today at 843-881-0190 or [email protected] to find out how our flood vents can help reduce your flood insurance, and protect your home or business property from flood damage.